Thanksgiving is nearly here, which probably means you will be consuming larger amounts of food than normal. This time of year, it is imperative to keep our oral hygiene at peak levels. It’s important to not let food hang around our mouths for too long, as it can lead to harmful bacteria which promotes tooth decay. If you cannot brush and floss after meals, sugarless gum acts as a worthy temporary alternative. Listed below are some of the factors to consider:
– Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes after a meal can fight cavities. The chewing gum itself doesn’t fight cavities, but the act of chewing increases saliva flow.
– Sugarless gum can also prevent heartburn. This is beneficial because the acids in your esophagus can damage your teeth.
– Be sure to choose sugarless chewing gum that has been awarded the American Dental Association ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Sugarless gum helps after meals, but it is not a substitute for brushing and flossing.
– Sugarless gum increases saliva flow, which washes away food and other debris. Saliva also neutralizes acids originating from harmful bacteria, and can provide disease-fighting substances to combat threats with the mouth.
Sugarless gum should not be used if you experience any tooth sensitivity or jaw pain. If you would like more information, or if you would like to make an appointment with Dr. Asad Ahsan, please contact our fantastic staff here at Vital Dental by calling us at (972) 347-0945. You can also stop by our dentist office in McKinney, Texas. Have a safe, healthy, and happy Thanksgiving!